It premiered on May 19, 2019.
The episode begins where the previous episode left off, with Star announcing her decision to destroy all magic in order to stop Mina Loveberry and bring peace to Mewni, believing she can do by casting the Whispering Spell from inside the Realm of Magic. At Star's request, Hekapoo reopens the dimensional portals, even though destroying magic would erase her from existence. Moon and Eclipsa try to reason with Star and suggest that all three of them fight Mina together, but Star is determined to see her decision through. Marco takes the Royal Magic Wand from Moon (who is shocked to learn that Marco used the wand once before), and he and Star enter the Realm of Magic hand-in-hand, with Eclipsa happily exclaiming upon realizing the two are now in a relationship.
Inside the Realm of Magic, Star immediately starts to lose her memories. Marco, on the other hand, is unaffected by the Realm of Magic, and he realizes it's because of the pudding cups that Glossaryck gave them in the previous episode. Marco gives some pudding to Star, and her memories are shielded. Just then, the two are attacked by Tom, who had been trapped in the Realm of Magic since "Mama Star", and the purple unicorn. While Star goes to cast the Whispering Spell, Marco keeps Tom and the purple unicorn at bay with the magic wand.
Meanwhile, on Mewni, River and Eddie reach the Magic Sanctuary to heal Globgor of his magical wounds, but Mina discovers them. Realizing what they're trying to do, Mina commands her Solarian forces to pull the Sanctuary out of the water.
Back in the Realm of Magic, Star tries to cast the Whispering Spell, but it doesn't work. Moon and Eclipsa appear to help her, having decided that the age of queens and magic needs to come to an end. Nearby, Marco fends off Tom and the purple unicorn with improvised magic spells, and he succeeds in restoring Tom's memories by feeding him Glossaryck's pudding, but he suffers a stab wound to his stomach from the Millhorse's horn. With Tom's memories restored, the purple unicorn goes after Star.
Star, Moon, Eclipsa, and Meteora work together to destroy magic, and all four of them transform into their Butterfly Forms. The ghosts of some of their Butterfly family ancestors appear to support them. On Mewni, Mina infiltrates the Magic Sanctuary and hears the Whispering Spell being chanted inside the well, and she dives inside to hunt Star and the others down. As Star and her family chants, the Realm of Magic starts to crumbles, and their magic starts to fade. Mina appears to destroy them, but the purple unicorn attacks her and drags her under the water. Mina calls out to the ghost of Queen Solaria for help, but Solaria ignores her pleas.
The purple unicorn and the smaller corrupted unicorns set their sights on Star and her family, but Marco and Tom appear to fight them off, and as more and more magic dies, the Millhorses all perish as well. The Realm of Magic continues to collapse, the ghosts of the old Butterfly queens vanish, and Glossaryck appears to express both his surprise and his approval of the decision Star and her family made. Star asks Glossaryck what will happen to him, and Glossaryck simply says, "A good captain always goes down with his ship."
With the Realm of Magic's collapse, the wells connected to it start to close, and Moon urges everyone to escape before they get trapped. Star tells Marco to go back to Earth before the Earth well closes, not telling him that this might be the last time they see each other, and they share what seems to be one final hug. As Marco heads to the Earth well, Star and the others go through the Mewni well to return to Mewni. However, Star, unwilling to be forever apart from Marco, goes back into the Realm of Magic to join him on Earth, but the Earth well has already closed.
Much to Star's surprise, Marco never went through the Earth well and stayed behind for the same reason Star did, and both of them are now trapped in the collapsing Realm of Magic. Unsure and unconcerned with what will happen to them when the dimension disappears, Star and Marco embrace, believing they belong together no matter what. As they appear to accept their fate, the magic between them creates a swirling vortex underneath them as the entire dimension is enveloped in light.
Star ends up on Mewni, unconscious on the back of an alligator in the destroyed Magic Sanctuary. Moon finds her and wakes her up. As a result of magic being destroyed, Star and Moon don't have cheek marks anymore, the Solarian Army has been rendered powerless, and Globgor is alive and reunited with his wife and daughter. Mina is also still alive, and Moon offers to help her get the psychiatric help she needs, but Mina's sanity is so far gone that she still swears loyalty to Solaria and says even if she were to die, her anti-monster ideals would live on. She departs into the woods of Mewni, and Manfred leaves with her. Moon apologizes to Star for everything that happened because of her alliance with Mina, and Star forgives her, believing this is a new start for the Butterfly family.
At the Monster Temple, Pony Head also recovers from her wounds, and the rest of Star's friends have been sent to their home dimensions. Pony Head tells Star that Kelly and Jorby are probably having fun fighting in Woolandia and Talon Raventalon is at the Dragon Spit tavern making up stories about his adventures. The Magic High Commission, however, have been wiped out of existence. Though Marco and Janna are safe on Earth, Star is still sad at the thought of never seeing Marco again. Just then, Tom enters and brings Star outside to show her a strange dimensional portal in the sky.
Meanwhile, on Earth, the destruction of magic triggered an earthquake that caused Britta's Tacos to sink into a pool of black sludge, and the restaurant is surrounded by police officers and television news crews. Marco and Janna are being taken care of by paramedics, and the stab wound in Marco's stomach is gone. Marco explains to Janna what happened and that Star is back on Mewni; like Star, Marco is sad that he may never see her again. When they notice a dimensional portal in the sky identical to the one on Mewni, Janna distracts the paramedics so that Marco can go to it.
In each of their home dimensions, Star and Marco race to reach the portal before it closes, desperate to see each other again. Marco even borrows Jackie's skateboard to reach it faster, but he trips and falls when he's a few feet away from it. As the portal closes, it releases an explosive burst of light, and Marco cries, thinking he missed his chance to see Star again.
All of a sudden, dragon-cycles fly over the palm trees, and Marco sees Star standing across from him. The landscape is now lined with old castles and urban city buildings, unicorns and mermaids intermingle with automobiles and helicopters, and the population consists of humans, Mewmans, and monsters. As a result of the portal's explosion, the dimensions of Earth and Mewni have been "cleaved" together. Star and Marco walk up to each other and exchange a short greeting. As the credits roll, the camera pans up from the couple to show a shooting star streak across a blue and pink sky, ending the episode and the series.
- Star Butterfly
- Marco Diaz
- Moon Butterfly
- Eclipsa Butterfly
- Mina Loveberry
- Meteora Butterfly
- Tom Lucitor
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- This is the final episode of the series.
- This is the fourteenth and final half hour-long episode in the series.
- Production on this episode was finished on April 12, 2019.
- This episode is the only one to feature a shortened version of the opening theme song.
- This is the second and final episode after "Starcrushed" to not feature the ending theme.
- Star is both the first and last character to speak in this series.
- Although marginally, Marco is the last character to be seen in the series.
Revelations and continuity
- Marco wields the Royal Magic Wand for the second time after "Deep Dive".
- Marco is the last person to ever wield the magic wand.
- Glossaryck's supply of pudding keeps Star and Marco's memories from being affected by the Realm of Magic.
- The Firstborn is revealed to have been killed by the purple unicorn, reduced to a talking skull.
- Tom is revealed to have been trapped in the Realm of Magic since "Mama Star".
- The words of the Whispering Spell are revealed: "Break the bond, tear the fabric, cleave the stone, stop the magic."
- The black marks on Eclipsa's arms are healed.
- Eclipsa transforms into her Butterfly Form for the first and only time.
- Mina Loveberry is defeated.
- The only Mewman to remain loyal to Mina is Manfred, following her as she makes her exit.
- Marco's cheek marks appear again after "Booth Buddies".
- Magic is destroyed, bringing the Age of Magic to an end. As a result:
- Star and her family no longer have cheek marks.
- Mina loses her Solarian powers.
- The Solarian Army is destroyed.
- Those that were wounded by Solarian magic are healed.
- Glossaryck and the Magic High Commission are erased from existence.
- All of Star's friends are returned to their respective homes and native dimensions.
- Marco's side of the portal that cleaves Earth and Mewni together is shown to be located outside the Stop & Slurp, where he and Star first became friends in "Star Comes to Earth".
- The dimensions of Earth and Mewni are merged into one.
- The title of the episode partly calls back to Glossaryck's line in "Storm the Castle" ("You can cleave something apart, or you can cleave something together") and refers to the two dimensions being "cleaved" into a single dimension.
- Star and Marco’s greeting at the end may be a reference to "Toffee", where they (along with Buff Frog and Moon) exchanged a similar greeting after Star was revealed to be alive.
- When Marco grabs the wand, it is facing towards the screen. But after it transforms, it tilts a bit to the left.
- When Star and Marco enter the portal, Star is on the left and Marco is on the right; however, when they enter the Realm of Magic, Marco is on the left and Star is on the right.
- When the spirit of the past queens appear and Eclipsa faces her mother before hiding her from her view, Solaria is on her left. But when it goes to the shot of all the queens in the circle, Solaria is on Eclipsa's right.
- When the white circle of magic appears underneath Star and Marco as they hug each other, Star's hair is shown waving over her right shoulder. However, in all previous shots, Star's hair is waving over her left shoulder.
- Additionally, the rock Marco was huddling by has disappeared.
- When Moon's swimming to one of the alligators, her cheek marks appeared (even though magic was destroyed).
- When Mina is shot with an arrow, she and Moon look in the direction the arrow came from, which is behind Moon. However, due to the background, the archer appears to be standing to the right of Mina, making it seem as though the arrow should have struck the right side of Mina's head instead of the center of her forehead.
- In addition, when Mina walks forward to confront the archer, she appears to change direction between shots and walk to her right, also due to the scene background.
- When Marco's parents approach him on the gurney, Mariposa is not wearing her penguin finger puppet, but after Rafael hugs him, she is wearing it.
- When Star mentions how Eclipsa only fell in love and acted on it and as Eclipsa is asking Moon if she put Star in kindergarten or went straight into sword combat, she's missing her socks.
- Pony Head forgets Talon’s name in this episode, but she refers to him by his name in "Divide".
- When Marco is running for the portal at the end of the episode, he crosses a road and sees Jackie. However, in the next shot of Marco, the portal and road are behind him, as if he was running away from the portal instead.
- ↑ https://www.instagram.com/p/BzqcxJaFpLj/
- ↑ https://disneyschedules.tumblr.com/post/183755815804/star-vs-the-forces-of-evil-season-4-canadian
- ↑ Daron Nefcy (2019-04-12). Just finished the last episode of Star vs the Forces of Evil!!! 😭. Twitter. Retrieved on 2019 April 12.