It premiered on March 31, 2019.
Star and Marco share a box of Captain Blanche's Sugar Seeds at midnight one night. When one marshmallow is left over in Star's cereal bowl, she puts another marshmallow next to it so that it doesn't get lonely; the very act of doing this fills Marco with emotion. He brings this to Eclipsa's attention, explaining that every time he thinks he's gotten over his feelings for Star and likes someone else, something happens that makes those feelings return. Marco asks Eclipsa if she has a spell to make those feelings go away, but Eclipsa says she doesn't, remarking that feelings are worth feeling even if they hurt.
Overhearing their conversation, Janna attempts to get rid of Marco's feelings for Star using hypnotism, but it fails. Marco realizes the only way to overcome this problem is to tell Star directly. In Star's bedroom, and in front of both Janna and Tom, Marco tells Star that he likes everything about her, no matter how ridiculous, and the fact that they sometimes speak in perfect unison and think the same thoughts is unnatural.
Tom recognizes this phenomena and explains that when Star and Marco's souls were bound together at the Blood Moon Ball, they actually fell victim to the Blood Moon's curse, revealing that their growing feelings for each other are a result of that curse. When asked how to get rid of the curse, Tom says his great grandfather Relicor has a study room with hundreds of books about curses and other demonic subjects. Marco is upset and confused to learn that his feelings for Star were nothing more than demonic influence, but Star assures him that no curse can change the fact that they are best friends.
Using the Lucitor family's computer database in Relicor's study, Star, Marco, Tom, and Janna learn that the Blood Moon's curse can be broken if Star and Marco stand in the exact spot where the curse was placed at the exact same cycle in the lunar calendar. Unfortunately, the next full Blood Moon won't be for another 665 years. When Relicor finds Star and her friends in his private study, Tom explains the situation, and Relicor (using Tom as an interpreter) agrees to help. He suggests using an Underworld relic called the Severing Stone, which can cut through anything physical, emotional, or magical.
Using a demonic elevator, Star, Marco, Tom, Janna, and Relicor travel to the Underworld's deepest depths and find the Severing Stone at the other end of a rope bridge. However, before they can cross, a demon troll appears and blocks their path, and Marco quickly deduces that they must move a couch in order to cross the bridge. When another troll appears and says they must fight to the death in order to cross, he lets them cross anyway because the moment has been ruined.
At the other side of the bridge, Star and company stand before the Severing Stone and ask it to break the Blood Moon's curse over Star and Marco. The Severing Stone agrees to do so, but Relicor (speaking from personal, painful experience) warns them that in order for their souls to be severed, they must sacrifice the memory of the moment their souls were first bound together. Star and Marco agree to this condition and step onto the stone's platform. After a few moments of dancing, they find themselves back on the Blood Moon Ball dance floor.
When the Blood Moon shines its light down on them, Star and Marco relive the dance she shared, but this time Tom isn't there to interrupt and shove Marco to the floor. As Star and Marco have fun together on the dance floor, Star admits that she's scared of what will happen. Even though she doesn't want her destiny predetermined by a curse, she considers whether or not her and Marco's feelings for each other were actually because of the Blood Moon.
All of a sudden, the ballroom skylight cracks in half, and Star and Marco reawaken on the Severing Stone platform. The soul-severing process is complete, and Star and Marco have no memory of what happened at the Blood Moon Ball after their dance. As a result, they seemingly only see each other as best friends instead of crushes. As they prepare to leave, Janna uses the Severing Stone to sever her soul into two halves.
- Eclipsa Butterfly
- Relicor Lucitor
- Laser puppies
- Mackie Hand (mentioned)
- Meteora (mentioned)
Title in other languages
|Spanish (Latin America)||La maldición de la Luna Roja||The Curse of the Red Moon|
|Malay||Sumpahan Bulan Berdarah||Curse of the Blood Moon|
|Japanese||赤い月の呪い||Curse of the red moon|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- This is the twelfth half hour-long episode in the series.
- The voice actors for Eclipsa, Star, Marco, Tom, Ponyhead, Janna, and Kelly posted pictures of a group recording session they had for this episode.
- Tom calling Relicor his "grandpa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-pa-paaaaaa" may be a reference to the series' theme song.
Revelations and continuity
- Star and Marco's love for Captain Blanche's Sugar Seeds is brought up again from "Crystal Clear", "Marco and the King", and "Toffee".
- Eclipsa is shown to have known about Marco's feelings for Star prior to this episode.
- Janna makes reference to Mackie Hand when addressing Marco.
- Janna is stated to have hypnotized Marco to hate nachos.
- Additionally, Janna's "chickenbutt" hypnotism is brought up again from "Deep Dive".
- The events of "Blood Moon Ball" are directly referenced.
- Tom states that the next Blood Moon is in 665 years. Since the Blood Moon occurs every 667 years, it has been two years since the events of "Blood Moon Ball".
- The bond between Star and Marco's souls created by the Blood Moon is severed in this episode.
- When the elevator travelling to the deeper depths of the Underworld stops, Star says "We stopped" similar of how she remarked in "Quest Buy".