|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the character.|
It premiered on April 28, 2019 alongside "Britta's Tacos".
The episode begins with Marco packing his things to go back to Earth while Star tries to decide where to go on the vacation trip that she and Tom previously talked about. To help her decide, Tom gave her an "Atlas of the Multiverse" to circle in places she wants to go, but she remarks that there are so many places she's already been to. After Marco and Janna depart for Earth, Star and Tom head out to say goodbye to their friends around Mewni.
At the Monster Temple, Eclipsa and Globgor see them off with a Mewman-shaped cake, and Meteora gives Star a goodbye card. At Pony Head's house, Pony Head wishes Star a tearful goodbye and broadcasts it on "The Ponyhead Show!" with help from Seahorse (who is on probation and wearing a tail bracelet). On the cornball field, Star says goodbye to Buff Frog and his children. Katrina gives Star an autographed cornball as a going-away present, and Buff Frog gives Tom a threatening warning to keep Star safe.
Lastly, in Moon Butterfly's Mewman village, Star has tea with her mother, who says she and River are very content living in the village. With that, Tom believes they've said all their goodbyes and is eager to head out, but Star seems very anxious. She suddenly wants to say goodbye to someone named "Doop-Doop", and she leads Tom to an old outhouse where an old, anthropomorphic broom is sitting by the window. Star reveals this to be Doop-Doop, her very first magic spell. Doop-Doop is excited to see Star, even though she apparently abandoned him in the outhouse for years.
Tom once again urges Star for them to get going on their trip, but Star insists on saying one last goodbye to someone named "Applejeff". On their way to see this person that Tom has never heard of, Tom finally confronts Star and asks if they're still going on the trip. Star insists that they are, but when Tom looks at the atlas he gave her, he discovers that she never circled any locations inside. Backed into a corner, Star confesses that she doesn't know where she wants to go or what she wants to do. Finally free from the burden of being a princess, she says needs some time to figure things out.
Tom is upset by Star's indecision and decides to leave on a trip by himself, promising to keep his phone on for when Star is ready to talk. Later, Star goes to the Diaz Household on Earth, where the Diazes happily welcome her, and Marco introduces her to his newborn baby sister Mariposa. As Star holds Mariposa in her arms, she tells the Diazes that it's good to be back.
Title in other languages
|Korean||이제는 떠날 시간||Now It's Time to Leave|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Justin Roiland, best known as the co-creator, executive producer, and title roles on Rick and Morty, guest-stars as Doop-Doop.
- The episode was originally titled "So Long Star".
Revelations and continuity
- The Sea Captain depicted in the portrait on the wall of Star's room in previous episodes is revealed to be Alphonse the Worthy.
- However his full name was firstly introduced in Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells.
- Star mentions the trip that Tom suggested they go on together in "Cornonation".
- Marco and Janna return to Earth.
- At the end of the episode, Star returns to Earth as well.
- Relations between monsters and Mewmans are shown to have improved.
- After being jailed for kidnapping Eclipsa in "Queen-Napped", Seahorse is released and on probation/house arrest with a tail monitor.
- Star's very first spell is revealed to be a sentient broom named Doop-Doop.
- Marco's baby sister Mariposa (previously believed to be a boy) is born.
- Doop-Doop is similar to the living broomsticks from Disney's Fantasia.
- After Petey catches Star's signed cornball and flies off-screen, he appears back on-screen for one frame before the scene shifts to Moon's village.
- Ariel VH (2019-04-29). Some special poses I did from "So Long Star" from a section boarded by Kenny Pittneger! (featuring a mysterious margin doodle of Star I absolutely do not remember drawing). Twitter. Retrieved on 2019 April 29.