|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the character.|
Star and Marco help Mr. Diaz create the scariest Haunted House on the block.
The episode begins on Halloween night, with Marco bringing some kids to his father Rafael's haunted house. Rafael tries to scare the kids with a spooky voice, warning them about how "dangerous" his haunted house is. The main attraction of his haunted house is an inflatable Frankenstein balloon. Unfortunately, the children aren't scared at all, having only attended because Marco bribed them, and they leave.
Heartbroken, Rafael declares Halloween over, and he carries his Frankenstein balloon out to the backyard shed. Marco explains to Star and Janna that his father does this every year and always fails to scare anyone. In an effort to make Mr. Diaz's haunted house scarier, Star suggests summoning Hungry Larry, a creature-for-hire who haunts people's houses, but Marco forbids her from summoning any monsters. As Marco leaves to go bribe some five-year-old kids, Star and Janna disobey his orders and carry out the ritual to summon Hungry Larry. When they say his name three times, there's a knock at the front door, and Star and Janna open it to greet a short, harmless-looking, ghost-like creature. Meanwhile, Rafael's wife Angie brings a bowl of candy corn to him in the shed to cheer him up.
Star and Janna take Hungry Larry to Star's bedroom so he can start making the house scarier, but Larry only comes off as creepy when he forces Star and Janna out of the room. On the house stairway, Star and Janna doubt Larry's ability to scare anyone and realize that having a haunted house wouldn't really make Mr. Diaz scary. They decide to fire Larry and call the whole thing off, and Janna volunteers to fire him herself while Star sits on the stairs feeling sorry for Mr. Diaz. All of a sudden, Star hears Janna scream in terror. Her scream draws the attention of every trick-or-treating kid in the neighborhood, and they come to see the haunted house.
As Star welcomes the kids inside the house, she confesses to Marco that she summoned Hungry Larry against his wishes. Upstairs, the kids scream with horror before everything goes completely silent. When Star and Marco go to investigate, they find Star's bedroom covered in Halloween candy and black saliva, and there isn't a kid in sight. Three kids appear cowering under the bed, and when Star asks them where Hungry Larry is, they only tell her "He's... still... hungry!" before something drags them underneath the bed. The bedroom door slams shut, and something drags Marco into the pool of black saliva. As more black saliva drips down the bedroom walls, Star hears a voice saying it's "still hungry", and a monster advances upon her from the shadows.
Back in the shed, Rafael attempts to destroy his Frankenstein balloon in a wood chipper, but it just bounces away and over the backyard fence. When he sees the bowl of candy corn Angie left for him, he returns to the house to apologize for his immaturity, but he finds the house completely empty. While searching for his family, Rafael notices black saliva dripping down from the ceiling, and he goes to Star's bedroom upstairs. There, he encounters Hungry Larry, who was grown to humongous size after eating all the trick-or-treaters and Rafael's family. Too stuffed to eat more people, Larry monstrously screams at Rafael to get out, but Rafael angrily shouts back at Larry to give his family back. He forcefully climbs inside of Hungry Larry's mouth, causing Larry to regurgitate all the people he ate and return to normal size.
Rafael happily reunites with his family, and the trick-or-treaters congratulate him for finally making a scary haunted house. As Hungry Larry shares the sentiment that nothing is more terrifying than a man who has lost everything, revealing this was his plan all along, Rafael angrily tells him to leave.
Title in other languages
|Dutch||Hongerige Larry||Hungry Larry|
|French||Larry le Vorace||Larry the Voracious|
|German||Diaz' Haus des Horrors||Diazes' House of Horrors|
|Hebrew||לארי הרעב||Hungry Larry|
|Hungarian||Éhes Larry||Hungry Larry|
|Italian||Il Famelico Larry||The Ravenous Larry|
|Polish||Głodny Leszek||Hungry Leszek|
|Portuguese (Brazil)||Larry Faminto||Hungry Larry|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Larry Lambão||Greedy Larry|
|Russian||Голодный Ларри||Hungry Larry|
|Spanish||Larry, el Hambriento||Larry, the Hungry|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- Billy West, best known for voicing the title characters in The Ren & Stimpy Show, Doug Funnie and Roger Klotz in Doug, and Philip J. Fry and other characters in Futurama, guest-stars as Hungry Larry.
- Star dresses up as Ludo for Halloween, with a papier-mache version of his skull helmet from season one. However, Star's costume includes a tail, which Ludo doesn't have. Other supporting characters' Halloween costumes include:
- Marco: karate werewolf
- Janna: zombie lawyer
- Rafael: pumpkin
- Angie: black cloak and monks robe with a rope belt and hand necklace.
- Dominic Bisignano thinks that he was drawing Angie as a druid.
- Early concept designs by Becky Dreistadt featured the characters in different costumes than in the final product:
- Star: crocodile
- Marco: cowboy
- Janna: businesswoman
- Angie: witch
- Jackie Lynn Thomas was also originally featured in a mermaid costume.
- The keyboard that Angie plays in this episode looks exactly like the one Marco played in "Sleepover", except it doesn't have a tilted stand.
- The Spanish heavy-metal song that Rafael was listening to when wood-chipping his Frankenstein balloon is called "Running From a Skeleton" according to the BMI and ASCAP Repertory websites. It was composed by Brian H. Kim with lyrics in English by Dominic Bisignano.
- The takeout menu licked to summon Hungry Larry is for Emilio's Pizza, shown in the episode "Pizza Thing".
- As of the season 3 premiere, this episode and "Spider With a Top Hat" have yet to air on Disney Channel, but it aired on Disney Channel Asia before this.
- Dominic Bisignano has stated that this episode and "Spider With a Top Hat" are not part of the series' overall timeline
- This can be seen with Seasons 1 and 2 taking place from the beginning of the calendar year (December or January) to the beginning of that year's summer (May or June), during which time none of the characters age; the timeline does not reach around Halloween time (October 31st) until sometime between the episodes "Lint Catcher" (which takes place around August or September) and "Lava Lake Beach" (which ends on November 28th).
- ↑ 非公式 悪魔バスター★スターバタフライ (2017-01-26). 2月の新エピソード放送スケジュールの続きです。 (Japanese). Twitter. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Star vs. the Forces of Evil : Hungry Larry; Spider With a Top Hat. Screener. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Hungry Larry / Spider With a Top Hat. Disney XD Press. Retrieved on 2017 March 5.
- ↑ Dominic Bisignano (2017-02-01). I seem to get everyone's costume in Hungry Larry.... Tumblr. Retrieved on 2017 August 1.
- ↑ Becky Dreistadt (2016-11-22). More “Hungry Larry” early concept designs.... Tumblr. Retrieved on 2017 July 27.
- ↑ Dominic Bisignano (2017-02-27). Were Hungry Larry/Spider with a Top Hat written.... Tumblr. Retrieved on 2017 November 19.