- “He was just a boy, but he could dream.
So goes the sad tale of Jushtin the un-queen.”
- ―Royal family inscription[src]
Jushtin Butterfly, also known as Jushtin the Uncalculated, is a former prince of the Kingdom of Mewni, the son of Skywynne Butterfly, and the older brother of Solaria Butterfly. He is featured in Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells.
Jushtin has cream-colored skin, short purple hair that curls upward in the front, green eyes, and purple four-leaf clover-shaped marks on his cheeks. He wears a large feathered hat with a ruby on the front, a red fur coat with a diamond-studded cravat, gray pants, red shoes, a large diamond ring on his left hand's middle finger, and a gold watch on his right wrist. He is 6' (1.83 m) tall.
Through his entries in the Book of Spells, it can be surmised that Jushtin was very flamboyant and self-confident, constantly carrying himself with a lot of swagger and showing off photos in his chapter entries. He was also somewhat irresponsible, at one time leaving the Book of Spells in a stable.
- Note: The following information is from Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells.
Immediately after inheriting the Royal Magic Wand from his mother Skywynne, Jushtin embraced the celebrity lifestyle that came with being prince. His time as heir to the throne was largely spent frequenting Mewni's club scene with his entourage, the "Boy-Prince Cru"—consisting of himself, Prince Sazmo of the Dock of Unending Torment, Prince Pea-Pea of Musty Mountain Caves, Viscount Tinbenz of the Forest of Unlikely Spider Bites, and Whizzbag of Garbage Beach.
However, Jushtin would have to give up his claim to the Mewni throne when Skywynne became pregnant with his younger sister Solaria, due to Mewni being a matriarchal society. Though Solaria would go on to become the next Queen of Mewni, Jushtin served as one of her diplomats to ally the Butterfly family with the Pony Head and Lucitor families against the monsters in the Mewman-Monster War. He later married Duchess Recluza of the Spiderbites.
In "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Jushtin is depicted in tapestry in the Butterfly Castle's tapestry room. In "The Tavern at the End of the Multiverse", he appears as a voiceless ghost inside Glossaryck's eye. In "Cleaved", he appears as a ghost again in the Realm of Magic as Star, Moon, and Eclipsa destroy the magic.
Powers and abilities
- Royal Magic Wand: As Queen Skywynne's original heir to the throne of Mewni, Jushtin once wielded the royal magic wand, taking the form of a red and white-striped cane with an alligator head in his possession. However, Jushtin only ever used the wand for very simplistic spells (if at all), such as granting wings to a person or object and creating comfortable chariot seats.
- Math proficiency: True to his card, Jushtin was considered an ace at math. Though his magic was simplistic, he always considered the math needed to make his spells efficient.
- Jushtin shares his name with Star vs. the Forces of Evil writer/storyboard artist Jushtin Lee.
- He is the first known male to wield the royal magic wand.
- Jushtin's name is a variation of the name Justin, which is an anglicized form of the Latin name "Justinus", a derivative of "Justus" meaning "just", "fair", or "righteous".
- Jushtin's attributes in The Magic Book of Spells are:
- Strength: 10
- Math: 20+
- Wisdom: 4
- Dexterity: 3
- Constitution: 3
- Charisma: 4
- In original promotional collectible cards of the Queens of Mewni, Jushtin's royal alias was "Jushtin the Boy Queen".
- Jushtin's sign, the "Bog Slug", is a sign typically associated with bad luck. Ironically, Jushtin has four leaf clover markings, typically a sign of good luck.
- Unlike the magic wands of Mewni's other Queens, Jushtin's wand possessed some level of sentience, as the alligator head was known to bite other people.
- ↑ 1.00 1.01 1.02 1.03 1.04 1.05 1.06 1.07 1.08 1.09 1.10 Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells by Daron Nefcy and Amber Benson. September 11, 2018. Published by Disney Press. ISBN: 978-1368020503.