Star and Marco visit Marco's parents on Earth, Marco wanting to visit quickly in order to make it to a party for royal squires later that afternoon. They see that a baby shower is being held, but Marco doesn't know who it's for. When they meet Marco's mom Angie at the front door, they discover that Angie herself is pregnant with another boy, much to Marco's shock. In honor of their firstborn son and because they share the same mole, Rafael and Angie have named their new baby "Marco Jr."
Marco regrets not having known about his mother's pregnancy until now, but his parents understand that he's been busy on Mewni. He also realizes he didn't bring a gift for his baby brother, so Star suggests getting one at Quest Buy. The two head to the interdimensional store, but Marco can't find anything that's safe to give to a baby. Marco wants to give the baby something to remind him of his big brother since he might not be around much. Therefore, Star suggests getting a self-portrait done by Mewni painter Cobalt Ferrero.
Upon seeing the realism of Cobalt's paintings, Marco agrees to have himself painted. Since Cobalt's usual painting process takes weeks or months to complete, Marco requests a much faster option, and Cobalt has him fill out a long personality quiz, which Marco fills out quickly. With the completed questionnaire, Cobalt paints Marco's portrait using his "essence".
When Star and Marco return to Rafael and Angie with the finished portrait, they realize it is a hideous caricature. Rafael and Angie appreciate the thought of Marco's gift, but Marco still feels like he failed to come through. During lunch, Marco's face starts to twist and deform, taking on the appearance of how he looks in the portrait. Even after destroying the portrait, Marco's transformation seems irreversible.
Star, Marco, and Marco's parents return to Cobalt Ferrero for a way to undo Marco's transformation. Cobalt explains that the portrait is a reflection of the answers Marco gave in the personality quiz, and it magically adjusts its subject to fix any discrepancies. In order for Marco to return to normal, he must take the quiz again and answer the questions truthfully. Unfortunately, as Marco takes on the portrait's appearance more and more, he becomes less able to move (and more like an actual painting).
Rafael and Angie decide to take Marco's quiz for him, believing they know their son better than anyone else. However, their answers only reflect the Marco they knew before, not the Marco he is today. Realizing they don't know their own son as well as they used to, Rafael and Angie let Star step in to answer the questions herself. Cobalt uses the completed quiz on the portrait's ashes, and Marco turns back to normal. Marco apologizes to his parents for not visiting home more often, and they agree to do some well-needed catching up together. Seeing the Diazes together, Cobalt offers to paint a family portrait for them, but Marco refuses.
- Quest Buy gift card
- Charlie Booth (cameo)
- Mr. and Mrs. Morrison (cameo)
- Mariposa Diaz (mentioned/pictured)
- Rich Pigeon (pictured)
Title in other languages
|Dutch||Marco Junior||Marco Junior|
|Korean||마르코의 선물||Marco's Gift|
|Portuguese (Portugal)||Marco Júnior||Marco Junior|
|Ukrainian||Марко молодший||Marco Jr.|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- This episode was initially scheduled to premiere on January 22, 2018, according to the Disney XD Press website calendar, but it was delayed to March 17, 2018.
- "Marco Jr." is also the name of the one of the laser puppies, as revealed in the second "#MarcoLIVE" animated live chat with Marco Diaz.
- David Krumholtz, best known for playing Charlie Eppes in the CBS drama Numb3rs, guest-stars as Cobalt Ferrero.
Revelations and continuity
- Angie is stated to have gotten pregnant some time after Marco left for Mewni in "Sophomore Slump".
- According to Angie, Marco's birth took thirty-seven hours.
- The Quest Buy "Friends Until the End" gift card from "Gift of the Card" briefly appears.
- When Star is filling out Marco's personality quiz, she marks down 26-35 as his age, most likely referencing the time he spent in Hekapoo's dimension in "Running with Scissors" and "Night Life".
- Marco's portrait being a reflection of himself and him becoming the painting is a reference of Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray.
- When Star states that Marco's face is starting to look like the painting, his mouth already matches the painting. However, when Marco states that he's trying to do something to let Marco Jr. remember him, his mouth starts to deform.
- Disney XD (2018-02-08). You asked nicely, then demanded, and then finally yelled at us... and it worked!. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil: Episode Guide. TV Passport. Retrieved on 2018 March 7.