Some time after Star and Moon have gone into hiding, King Butterfly awakens in a messy castle and alone in bed. He turns on some dance music and kicks off a pumping dance party in the castle for himself and his subjects. The king and the citizens of Mewni party from sunrise to nightfall. The next morning, River wakes up, sees that Moon is still gone, and does the same thing all over again. However, his subjects are becoming tired of partying endlessly. By the following morning, River is only one in the castle with any energy to spare.
Using his dimensional scissors, Marco appears on Mewni to see Star and give her some of her favorite Earth cereal. River happily greets Marco, and Marco asks if Star is in trouble after leaving Earth so suddenly. River assures him that Star is just fine and that she and her mother left on a little trip, leaving him to look after the castle and keep up the people's morale. However, Marco shows River that the people of Mewni are in a state of panic.
On the castle balcony, River addresses the people and asks if they are satisfied with his leadership after Star and Moon have left. The people complain about the large amounts of garbage piling up, the buildings that are on fire, and the giant monster in the Mewman cornfields. River shouts at the monster to leave, but the monster—unable to hear River from so far away—approaches the village and starts stomping on everything. The people's faith in River drops even lower, and River loses confidence in himself as a king.
River goes back inside the castle and sinks into despair, admitting that he has no idea where Star and Moon went or when they'll return. Marco tells him that they cannot return home if they have no home to return to and that River must lead his people. Inspired by Marco's words, River addresses his subjects again and tries to rally them together to face the stampeding monster. The people still doubt River's ability to rule, but River accepts this and says he's all they have and they're all he has. He says further that they don't need magic to do extraordinary things and that everyone can do something unique and helpful. The people are inspired by River's words and join him in challenging the monster.
Marco, River, and the people of Mewni confront the monster stomping through the village and tell him to leave. However, the reason for the monster's attack turns out to just be the result of a failure to communicate; he thought River was calling him to approach, not leave. With that cleared up, the monster leaves as he's told, and the people celebrate over their victory. River decides to hold one last party at the castle in his subjects' honor, and they cheer his name. Unfortunately, Ludo suddenly appears to join in the cheering, and he launches his own monster invasion on the kingdom.
- Citizens of Mewni
- Giant monster
- Bald eagle
- Giant spider
- Mewnian rats
- Star Butterfly (mentioned)
- Queen Butterfly (mentioned)
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- This is one of three episodes in season 3 that Amelia Lorenz didn't storyboard with her usual partner Sabrina Cotugno. Instead, she co-boarded this episode with Jushtin Lee.
Revelations and continuity
- It is revealed that whenever Moon goes away, she leaves clothes out for River depending on how long she will be gone with one for each day.
- It is also revealed that Star's favorite cereal is Captain Blanche's Sugar Seeds.
- Ludo attacks and takes over Butterfly Castle.
- ↑ Joseph Schmidt (2017-05-26). Exclusive: Star Vs. The Forces Of Evil TV Movie Coming This Summer. ComicBook.com. Retrieved on 2017 May 26.
- ↑ Amelia Lorenz (2017-07-12). Did you remain partnered with Sabrina on season 3.... Tumblr. Retrieved on 2017 July 27.