|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the musical score.|
- “Young warrior, everything about these monsters and whosits is sinister.”
- ―Mina describing her view on monsters to Star and Marco[src]
Mina Loveberry is a famous magical warrior from Mewni and Star Butterfly's former idol who first appears in the episode "Starstruck". She serves as the main antagonist of the fourth and final season of Star vs. the Forces of Evil, leading an army of Solarian super-warriors to wipe out all monsters on Mewni.
Mina is an adult female Mewman with peach skin, long purple hair tied into knee-length pigtails with large buns at each base, and green eyes. Like Star, she also has bangs that overlap her eyes.
In "Moon the Undaunted", her younger self wears a light green and white coat with yellow shoulder pads and a purple belt, and a teal skirt with diamond edges at the bottom. Her hair is also a bit straighter compared to its previous appearance.
Mina wears a light green dress with a picture of a cat on the front, a purple bow tie with a yellow heart in the center, purple knee-high boots, yellow bunny earrings, long white gloves, and a silver spiked helmet. As a result of her stay on Earth, her dress is tattered (with a large tear in the midsection) and covered in dirt, she is missing her right boot, her right hair-bun has dirt on it and her pigtails are messier, and her pupils are tinier with bags under her eyes due to going insane.
As of "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Mina has apparently lost her other boot and is now completely barefoot. She also lacks her cape.
After undergoing her Solarian transformation, Mina becomes muscular and grows to nearly twice her original size. Her eyes turn white, her ears take on an elfin-like shape, her teeth become sharp, and her voice deepens. In this form, Mina's attire gains a pink/ magenta cape.
In "Pizza Party", it's revealed that before going through the program, Mina was originally withdrawn and lacking in confidence, causing her to quickly become infatuated with the strong-willed Solaria and her ideals.
In "Moon the Undaunted", Mina is a tough, battle-hardened warrior type who is loyal to the Butterfly family and favors going to war with Toffee's forces over diplomacy. As seen in "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Mina has an extreme "survival of the fittest" mentality, taking pride in being the only Solarian Warrior to survive for hundreds of years.
Mina is heavily prejudiced toward monsters and upholds the long-established Mewman belief that monsters are dangerous. She carries out that belief by capturing the monsters at Star's party and trying to exterminate Meteora for being half-monster, going as far as attacking Star for defending the former and calling her a traitor for letting the captured monsters go free. Mina has a strong admiration for Solaria Butterfly and a strong hatred for Queen Eclipsa, Solaria's own daughter who advocates equal rights for monsters.
In "Starstruck", Mina is portrayed as mentally and cognitively impaired, having numerous moments of irrationality and insanity. She treats living on Earth like surviving in the wild, reacts to most situations from a warrior's perspective, and briefly considers trying to rule over mankind. According to Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells, Mina's unstable mental state is a result of the Solarian Program affecting her mind. Even after her Solarian transformation became undone in "Cleaved" once all the magic was destroyed (and the ghost of Solaria herself silently denounced her), she stubbornly remains attached to what she believes are Solaria's ideals.
Despite all these traits, Mina develops a connection with Star and calls her "Mud Sister" until she considered her a traitor for saving monsters. She later defends the late Doug-Doug from a mocking follower Solarian warrior. The only being Mina is really close is her crow Sebastian, praising him for being the only crow not to be accidentally turned to stone in her attempt to poison Eclipsa, as seen in the end of "Junkin' Janna".
According to Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells and "Pizza Party", Mina was originally a poor peasant girl who was the first person to volunteer to Queen Solaria Butterfly's army, inspired by her actions against the monster which lived in her village. Mina underwent a three-stage magical metamorphosis carried out by Solaria that turned her into one of the queen's "Solarian" super-warriors. She constantly fought alongside her queen on the battlefield.
It is implied in Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells that Mina's descent into insanity is a result of the Solarian metamorphosis she had undergone, which had long erased her fear and conscience. As revealed in "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", she is the only Solarian Warrior who managed to survive for so long, the others having destroyed themselves over time.
After Solaria's death and later Eclipsa's crystallization, Mina had been serving the new Butterfly family bloodline and continued defending the kingdom from monsters. According to Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension, Mina once fought alongside Moon Butterfly on the battlefield.
When first introduced in "Starstruck", Mina is stated by Star Butterfly to be "the greatest warrior to ever live". In Star's imagination, she strikes a heroic pose. In reality, however, Mina is a clinically insane person who dives into dumpsters for food and wears garbage bags on her head. Marco believes she has "lost her marbles". On her "doctor"'s orders, Mina is vacationing on Earth to observe humans. Since she is a famous Mewnian warrior, Star asks her to teach her how to be a true warrior, and Mina agrees.
Throughout the day, Mina imparts her fighting knowledge upon Star in bizarre (and even illegal) ways. She teaches her to clear her mind of distracting thoughts by trespassing in the Echo Creek Mud Pits, to make her own weapons using objects lying around a children's playground, and to learn from her surroundings by setting public property on fire. Marco insists to Star that Mina is crazy and that she should stop learning from her, but Star is unable to see past her hero worship to do so.
In her observations of the humans, Mina learns that American society is based on democracy and voting and that humans are "free" and do not have a ruler in the traditional sense. With this knowledge, Mina tries to convince Star to help her take over the Earth and rule over the humans. When Star refuses, Mina almost fights her, but the humans gathered nearby vote against her planet-dominating plans and "defeat" her. Deciding not to take over the Earth after all, Mina leaves and returns to Mewni.
In "Moon the Undaunted", Mina appears in flashback as a member of Queen Moon's royal court, urging the other members to go to war with the monsters after the death of Moon's mother. In "Book Be Gone", she makes a brief cameo appearance hiding in the shadows of Ludo's temple.
In "Monster Bash", Mina Loveberry returns to capture the monsters at Star's party to unite Mewmans and monsters, prejudicially believing them to be dangerous. Her conflict with Star and subsequent revelation of Miss Heinous' true identity as a member of the Butterfly family results in a battle breaking out between them, but she eventually escapes.
In "Divide", it is revealed that Mina fought against Meteora and lost, resulting in her soul being absorbed.
In "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Mina is revealed to have been protecting Butterfly Castle from looters ever since it was abandoned. Resentful of Queen Eclipsa's place on the throne, Mina schemes to try and remove her from power. She reveals she was the one who tried to turn Eclipsa to stone in "Yada Yada Berries". She asks Moon to restart the "Solarian Project" that originally turned her into a magical super-warrior, but refuses, leading Mina to launch her own campaign against Eclipsa.
In "Junkin' Janna", Mina is revealed to be using her Solarian magic to assemble a giant suit of armor, which apparently are necessary to fight at her maximun capacity.
In "Ready, Aim, Fire", Mina is tasked by the Magic High Commission to get rid of Eclipsa and the monsters, and in "The Right Way", she leads an army of a hundred Solarian Warriors. In "Here to Help" and "Pizza Party", she is revealed to be working for Moon to remove Eclipsa from the throne, but she betrays Moon in order to wage war on all monsters.
In "Cleaved", Mina tracks Eclipsa and her "co-conspirators" to the Realm of Magic, but she is incapacitated by a corrupted millhorse and faces contempt for her actions from the ghost of Queen Solaria. After magic is destroyed, Mina loses her Solarian powers, and she flees into the woods of Mewni, declaring that her "ideas" will still live on.
Powers and abilities
- Magical Physical Prowess (formerly): As a Solarian Warrior, Mina possessed powerful magic to augment her physique and strength. The full extent of her magical power was shown in "Monster Bash", where she easily overpowered Star and Tom. Even Star's magic attacks had little to not effect on Mina.
- With the use of her Solarian suit and sword, Mina could disable any monster ability and cause lethal injuries which would eventually kill them through an explosion. Her regular abilities were enhanced as well.
- Pyrokinesis (formerly): In her augmented form, Mina was able to generate and manipulate a blue colored fire.
- Flight (formerly): In her augmented form, she is able to fly and levitate.
- Longevity (formerly): Likely due to her transformation from a normal peasant to a magical super-warrior, Mina had a considerably extended lifespan, having lived since the time of Queen Solaria Butterfly.
- Hair whip (formerly): Mina could use her hair to whip her opponent, as shown in Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Battle for Mewni. She could also twirl her pigtails like helicopter blades and use them to fly (albeit slowly), as demonstrated in "Monster Bash".
- Survival skills: As a seasoned warrior, Mina is able to fend for herself in the wild, scrounging for food in suburban dumpsters.
- Specialized Farming: As revealed "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Mina knows how to grow Yada Yada berries, which can turn people to stone.
- Theme Song (seasons 2-4)
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Battle for Mewni
- Monster Bash
- The Bogbeast of Boggabah (mentioned)
- Is Another Mystery (mentioned)
- Divide (cameo)
- Ghost of Butterfly Castle
- Junkin' Janna
- Ready, Aim, Fire
- The Right Way
- Here to Help
- Pizza Party
- The Tavern at the End of the Multiverse
Click here to view the gallery.
- Mina has a design resembling Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon from the anime and manga series Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.
- Mina is also the localized/shortened name of Minako Aino/Sailor Venus.
- The bunny earrings are likely a nod to Sailor Moon's alter ego, Usagi Tsukino, whose name means rabbit.
- In "Monster Bash", one of the books at her campsite is called Secret Tuxedo, a reference to Tuxedo Mask (the alter ego of Mamoru Chiba, Sailor Moon's love interest).
- Star's sea foam green dress and battle armor are similar to Mina's attire.
- The name "Mina" means "protector" and is of Dutch origin.
- Mina is so far the only Mewman other than the Butterfly family to display magical abilities.
- She is the only Solarian Warrior who managed to survive for so long.
- ↑ Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension by Dominic Bisignano and Amber Benson. March 7, 2017. Published by Disney Press. Page(s) 74. ISBN: 978-1484774199.
- ↑ Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells by Daron Nefcy and Amber Benson. September 11, 2018. Published by Disney Press. ISBN: 978-1368020503.