|This article is about the character. You may be looking for the musical score.|
- “Young warrior, everything about these monsters and whosits is sinister.”
- ―Mina describing her view on monsters to Star and Marco[src]
Mina Loveberry is a famous magical warrior from Mewni and Star Butterfly's former idol who first appears in the episode "Starstruck". She serves as the main antagonist of the fourth and final season of Star vs. the Forces of Evil, leading an army of Solarian super-warriors to wipe out all monsters on Mewni.
Mina is an adult female Mewman with peach skin, long purple hair tied into knee-length pigtails with large buns at each base, and green eyes. Like Star, she also has bangs that overlap her eyes. She wears a light green dress with a picture of a cat on the front, a purple bow tie with a yellow heart in the center, purple knee-high boots, yellow bunny earrings, long white gloves, and a silver spiked helmet. As a result of her stay on Earth, her dress is tattered (with a large tear in the midsection) and covered in dirt, she is missing her right boot, her right hair-bun has dirt on it and her pigtails are messier, and her pupils are tinier with bags under her eyes due to going insane.
Near the end of "Starstruck" Mina becomes angry at Star for refusing to conquer Earth with her, and she undergoes a physical transformation. She becomes muscular and grows to nearly twice her original size. Her eyes turn white, her ears take on an elfin-like shape, her teeth become sharp, and her voice deepens. In this form, Mina's attire gains a pink/ magenta cape. She reverts to her normal appearance at the end of the episode.
In "Moon the Undaunted", her younger self wears a light green and white coat with yellow shoulder pads and a purple belt, and a teal skirt with diamond edges at the bottom. Her hair is also a bit straighter compared to its previous appearance.
As of "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Mina has apparently lost her other boot and is now completely barefoot. She also lacks her cape.
In "Starstruck", Mina is portrayed as mentally and cognitively impaired, having numerous moments of irrationality and insanity. She treats living on Earth like surviving in the wild, reacts to most situations from a warrior's perspective, and even briefly considers trying to rule over mankind. Despite this, she develops a connection with Star Butterfly and calls her "Mud Sister".
In "Monster Bash", Mina is heavily prejudiced toward monsters and upholds the long-established Mewman belief that monsters are dangerous. She carries out that belief by capturing the monsters at Star's party and trying to exterminate Miss Heinous for being half-monster, even going as far as attacking Star for defending Heinous and calling her a traitor for letting the captured monsters go free.
Mina has a strong admiration for Solaria Butterfly and a strong hatred for Queen Eclipsa, Solaria's own daughter who advocates equal rights for monsters. She also has an extreme "survival of the fittest" mentality, taking pride in being the only Solarian Warrior to survive for hundreds of years. The only being she seems to care for as for now is her crow Sebastian (praising him for being the only crow not to be accidentally turned to stone in her attempt to poison Eclipsa), as seen in the end of "Junkin' Janna".
According to Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells, Mina's unstable mental state is a result of the Solarian Program affecting her mind. In "Pizza Party", it's revealed that before going through the program, Mina was originally withdrawn and lacking in confidence, causing her to quickly become infatuated with the strong-willed Solaria and her ideals. Even after her Solarian transformation became undone in "Cleaved" once all the magic was destroyed (and the ghost of Solaria herself silently denounced her), Mina stubbornly remains attached to what she believes are Solaria's ideals.
According to Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells and "Pizza Party", Mina was originally a peasant girl who underwent a three-stage magical metamorphosis carried out by Queen Solaria Butterfly that turned her into one of the queen's "Solarian" super-warriors. After Solaria's death and later Eclipsa's crystallization, Mina had been serving the new Butterfly family bloodline and continued defending the kingdom from monsters.
When first introduced in "Starstruck", Mina is stated by Star Butterfly to be "the greatest warrior to ever live". In Star's imagination, she strikes a heroic pose. In reality, however, Mina is a clinically insane person who dives into dumpsters for food and wears garbage bags on her head. Marco believes she has "lost her marbles". On her "doctor"'s orders, Mina is vacationing on Earth to observe humans. Since she is a famous Mewnian warrior, Star asks her to teach her how to be a true warrior, and Mina agrees.
Throughout the day, Mina imparts her fighting knowledge upon Star in bizarre (and even illegal) ways. She teaches her to clear her mind of distracting thoughts by trespassing in the Echo Creek Mud Pits, to make her own weapons using objects lying around a children's playground, and to learn from her surroundings by setting public property on fire. Marco insists to Star that Mina is crazy and that she should stop learning from her, but Star is unable to see past her hero worship to do so.
In her observations of the humans, Mina learns that American society is based on democracy and voting and that humans are "free" and do not have a ruler in the traditional sense. With this knowledge, Mina tries to convince Star to help her take over the Earth and rule over the humans. When Star refuses, Mina almost fights her, but the humans gathered nearby vote against her planet-dominating plans and "defeat" her. Deciding not to take over the Earth after all, Mina leaves and returns to Mewni.
In "Moon the Undaunted", Mina appears in flashback as a member of Queen Moon's royal court, urging the other members to go to war with the monsters after the death of Moon's mother. In "Book Be Gone", she makes a brief cameo appearance hiding in the shadows of Ludo's temple.
In "Monster Bash", Mina Loveberry returns to capture the monsters at Star's party to unite Mewmans and monsters, prejudicially believing them to be dangerous. Her conflict with Star and subsequent revelation of Miss Heinous' true identity as a member of the Butterfly family results in a battle breaking out between them, but she eventually escapes.
In "Divide", it is revealed that Mina fought against Meteora and lost, resulting in her soul being absorbed.
In "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Mina is revealed to have been protecting Butterfly Castle from looters ever since it was abandoned. Resentful of Queen Eclipsa's place on the throne, Mina schemes to try and remove her from power. She asks Moon to restart the "Solarian Project" that originally turned her into a magical super-warrior, but Moon refuses, leading Mina to launch her own campaign against Eclipsa.
In "Junkin' Janna", Mina is revealed to be using her Solarian magic to assemble a giant suit of armor.
In "Ready, Aim, Fire", Mina is tasked by the Magic High Commission to get rid of Eclipsa and the monsters, and in "The Right Way", she leads an army of a hundred Solarian Warriors. In "Here to Help" and "Pizza Party", she is revealed to be working for Moon to remove Eclipsa from the throne, but she betrays Moon in order to wage war on all monsters.
In "Cleaved", Mina tracks Eclipsa and her "co-conspirators" to the Realm of Magic, but she is incapacitated by a corrupted millhorse and faces contempt for her actions from the ghost of Queen Solaria. After magic is destroyed, Mina loses her Solarian powers, and she flees into the woods of Mewni, declaring that her "ideas" will still live on.
Powers and abilities
- Survival skills: As a seasoned warrior, Mina is able to fend for herself in the wild, scrounging for food in suburban dumpsters.
- Magic: As a Solarian Warrior, Mina possesses powerful magic. She can use her magic to augment her physique and strength. The full extent of her magical power is first shown in "Monster Bash", where in her augmented form, she easily overpowers Star and Tom and Star's magic attacks have no effect on her (not even Spider With a Top Hat, Star's most powerful spell).
- Flight: In her augmented form, she is able to fly and levitate.
- Pyrokinesis: In her augmented form, she is able to generate and manipulate a blue colored fire.
- Hair whip: Mina can use her hair as a whip to whip her opponent, as demonstrated in Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Battle for Mewni. She can also twirl her pigtails like helicopter blades and use them to fly (albeit slowly), as demonstrated in "Monster Bash".
- Longevity: Likely due to her transformation from a normal peasant to a magical super-warrior, Mina has a considerably extended lifespan, having lived since the time of Queen Solaria Butterfly.
- Theme Song (seasons 2-4)
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Battle for Mewni
- Monster Bash
- The Bogbeast of Boggabah (mentioned)
- Is Another Mystery (mentioned)
- Divide (cameo)
- Ghost of Butterfly Castle
- Junkin' Janna
- Ready, Aim, Fire
- The Right Way
- Here to Help
- Pizza Party
- The Tavern at the End of the Multiverse
Click here to view the gallery.
- The name "Mina" means "protector" and is of Dutch origin.
- Mina has a design resembling Usagi Tsukino/Sailor Moon from the anime and manga series Pretty Guardian Sailor Moon.
- Mina is also the localized/shortened name of Minako Aino/Sailor Venus.
- The bunny earrings are likely a nod to Sailor Moon's alter ego, Usagi Tsukino, whose name means rabbit.
- In "Monster Bash", one of the books at her campsite is called Secret Tuxedo, a reference to Tuxedo Mask (the alter ego of Mamoru Chiba, Sailor Moon's love interest).
- Star's sea foam green dress and battle armor are similar to Mina's attire.
- Mina is so far the only Mewman other than the Butterfly family to display magical abilities.
- In "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", Mina reveals she was the one who tried to turn Eclipsa to stone in "Yada Yada Berries".
- According to Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension, Mina once fought alongside Queen Butterfly on the battlefield.
- It is implied in Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells that Mina's descent into insanity is a result of the Solarian metamorphosis she had undergone, which had long erased her fear and conscience.
- As revealed in "Ghost of Butterfly Castle", she's the only Solarian Warrior who managed to survive for so long, the others having destroyed themselves over time.
- ↑ Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Magic Book of Spells by Daron Nefcy and Amber Benson. September 11, 2018. Published by Disney Press. ISBN: 978-1368020503.
- ↑ Star and Marco's Guide to Mastering Every Dimension by Dominic Bisignano and Amber Benson. March 7, 2017. Published by Disney Press. Page(s) 74. ISBN: 978-1484774199.