It premiered on May 5, 2019 alongside "Jannanigans".
At the Diaz Household, Star and Tom have a rooftop picnic to celebrate Tom's return from the trip he went on after the events of "Doop-Doop". Having done some soul-searching while on his trip, Tom tries to tell Star something, but the sound of a nearby helicopter keeps drowning him out. After Star freezes the helicopter with her magic, Tom tells her that they should break up because their lives are starting to head in different directions. Star is utterly heartbroken, especially after Tom says they shouldn't even be friends anymore because it'd be too painful, and he leaves.
Unfortunately, his dramatic exit falls flat when he is unable to return to Mewni with his demon powers. He tries burning some stuff in the Diazes' fireplace to fuel his powers, but Star believes his powers are being hampered by his overemotional state. However, even with her butterfly form, Star is unable to open a portal to Mewni either. Further complicating matters is the arrival of two police officers investigating the frozen helicopter and Rafael calling the "Sad Teen Hotline" after learning about Star and Tom's breakup.
Star and Tom head to the backyard to have some privacy, and Tom is still unable to open a portal to Mewni. The two try to work through their emotional issues by talking. Tom says he still cares about Star and wants them to keep being friends, but he feels he should be with someone he could be best friends with—a role for Star that Marco already fills. Despite her heartbreak, Star understands.
Marco appears, and Star and Tom reveal to him that they're breaking up, feeling it's the right thing to do. Having talked it out with Star, Tom believes he's finally ready to leave, but his portal-opening powers still don't work. Marco tries to open a portal with his dimensional scissors, but they don't work either, leaving Tom trapped on Earth.
That night, Tom sleeps in Marco's room. Tom hopes to get some time to work through his post-breakup feelings (which Marco sympathizes with, having supposedly spent months getting over Jackie after their breakup). All of a sudden, Star bursts into the room and informs them of another problem: not only are their portals not working, but Star's phone calls to Mewni with her compact phone are not getting through either. Star has a feeling that something really bad is happening and decides they have to get back to Mewni somehow.
- Rafael Diaz
- Angie Diaz
- Mariposa Diaz
- Marco Diaz
- Police Officers
- Jackie Lynn Thomas (mentioned)
- Moon Butterfly (mentioned)
- Pony Head (mentioned)
Title in other languages
|Korean||헤어지는 중||In the Middle of Breaking Up|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- The title of this episode calls back to when Marco's father Rafael was going to call the Teen Sadness Hotline in "Return to Mewni".
Revelations and continuity
- Tom returns from the trip he left on in "Doop-Doop".
- Star and Tom break up once again.
- Tom's middle name is revealed to be Draconius.
- Angie reveals that she and Rafael broke up many times before they got married.
- Marco makes a reference to "Sophomore Slump", when he and Jackie broke up.
- Something is interfering with portals and electrical signals to Mewni, disabling Tom and Star's portal powers, Marco's dimensional scissors, and Star's compact phone.
- At the very beginning of the episode, Star and Tom do not appear on the Diaz Household roof until after the helicopter's first pass.