|This article is about the episode. You may be looking for the score.|
The episode begins on Mewni, with Marco packing up to return to Earth. With Mewni now safe from Toffee, Marco says goodbye to his interdimensional friends, and King Butterfly gives him a cape as thanks for everything he's done for the kingdom. Before Marco leaves with his dimensional scissors, he and Star share one last emotional hug and awkward moment, and he tells her to let him know if she finds his missing red hoodie.
Upstairs, Star uses Sparkle Glitter Bomb Expand to recreate her old bedroom loft from Earth, and it is revealed that she secretly kept Marco's hoodie as a memento of their friendship, even sniffing it while thinking on the memorable moments they shared. When Pony Head arrives and sees Star holding onto Marco's smelly hoodie, she tries to help her move on by dropping the hoodie down the castle laundry chute. Desperate to get the hoodie back, Star races down to the castle's laundry room and meets Sir Lavabo, the "Knight of the Wash". Star asks Lavabo for the hoodie back before it gets washed, but upon seeing the hoodie's filthy state, Lavabo insists on washing it in order to uphold his family's legacy as "laundry knights".
Star gets even more desperate and uses her magic wand to blast her way into the laundry room. Even Pony Head, put off by Lavabo's strict adherence to rules and order, decides to help Star retrieve the hoodie. When Lavabo, dressed in knight armor, flees with the hoodie, Star and Pony Head chase after him. Star eventually corners and restrains Lavabo at the top of the master wash. Lavabo accepts his impending death, but Star says she's not going to kill him over a hoodie.
Star finally admits that Pony Head was right about her obsessively holding onto a piece of Marco and getting in the way of Lavabo's job. During her admission, Lavabo throws the hoodie into the wash, but he tells Star he put the machine on gentle cycle. When Lavabo gives Star the clean hoodie, she is delighted to find that it still smells like Marco. Pony Head believes her plan didn't work, but Lavabo explains that what Star is experiencing is merely the "scent of a memory". Star thanks Pony Head for helping her move on by focusing on the memory rather than a physical reminder. Deciding that she doesn't need the hoodie anymore, Star sends it back to Marco on Earth, and he notices that it kind of smells like Star.
Title in other languages
|Dutch||Geur van een Hoodie||Scent of a Hoodie|
|French||Une odeur familière||A familiar scent|
|Hebrew||ניחוח הסווטשירט||Scent of a Hoodie|
|Japanese||パーカーのにおい||A Parka's Smell|
|European Portuguese||Perfume de Casaco||Jacket Perfume|
|Thai||กลิ่นของเสื้อฮู้ด||Scent of a Hoodie|
|Malay||Aroma Jaket||Scent of a Hoodie|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
Revelations and continuity
- It was implied that Star has to stay on Mewni for her own protection after the events of "Star vs. the Forces of Evil: The Battle for Mewni".
- Among Marco's belongings at the beginning of the episode include his Love Sentence toothbrush from "Just Friends" and his loincloth from "Marco and the King" and "King Ludo".
- Marco receives a cape from King Butterfly - the cape he wears in the season 3 opening sequence.
- The spell Star uses to make her 'new room' is the spell she used when she first came to the Diaz's house and made a room for herself there.
- Star mentions the events of "Interdimensional Field Trip", "Fortune Cookies", and "The Bounce Lounge".
- The episode's title may be based on the film Scent of a Woman.
- ↑ Disney XD Animation (2017-09-30). Get ready for November, friends!. Tumblr. Retrieved on 2017 September 30.
- ↑ November 2017 Programming Highlights for Disney Channel, Disney XD and Disney Junior. Disney XD Press (2017-10-30). Retrieved on 2017 October 30.