After Queen Moon kicks Star out of the library (from "The Bogbeast of Boggabah"), she goes back to preparing for Eclipsa's upcoming trial. Now unsure about her own family, Moon takes a historical record of the Butterfly family to Eclipsa's room, where she finds Eclipsa rocking out on a skeleton guitar. With Star's words about Eclipsa's daughter lingering in her mind, Moon asks Eclipsa to identify her daughter in the book.
When Eclipsa turns to Festivia the Fun's page, Moon asks if Festivia was her daughter, but Eclipsa says her daughter was Meteora. In order to solve this mystery, Eclipsa suggests that Moon look in the royal archive at the Bureaucracy of Magic, but Moon doesn't have access or knowledge on how to get there. Eclipsa offers to show her the way, but Moon refuses. However, she sympathizes with Eclipsa's desire to find out what happened to her daughter and hesitantly agrees.
At the Bureaucracy of Magic, Moon gets past Sean the security guard while hiding Eclipsa under her gown. She asks Eclipsa where the royal archive is, but Eclipsa doesn't know, saying the archive was just a stone cottage 300 years ago. Realizing that the Bureaucracy of Magic was built over the archive, Moon finds the archive entrance hidden in a coat closet. However, before she and Eclipsa can enter, they are discovered by Sean, and Moon stops him from reporting it to the Magic High Commission. With encouragement from Eclipsa, Moon accidentally erases Sean's memories of their encounter.
Beyond the stone wall, Moon and Eclipsa find themselves in a large maze of doors, and Eclipsa uses a song she made up to help guide them to the archive's entrance. With the entrance door locked, they try to get in through a rat hole in the wall, but Moon's gown gets stuck in the hole. While Eclipsa tries to find a way to the other side of the door, Moon meets a little spider that hypnotizes her to sleep and steals her crown. When she wakes up, she believes Eclipsa abandoned her, but Eclipsa returns after unlocking the archive door and pulls Moon free.
Inside the royal archive, Moon and Eclipsa find dozens of automatons recording events on scrolls in real time. In the giant archive of scrolls, Eclipsa locates her own scroll, in which all records of Meteora have been erased and replaced with Festivia. As they leave, Moon accidentally sets off the alarm—the automatons start attacking them with quills, and the entrance begins to close. With the unintended help of the spider that took Moon's crown, Moon and Eclipsa escape the archive before the Magic High Commission catches them.
Back at Butterfly Castle, Moon and Eclipsa discuss what they found. Moon is certain that someone orchestrated a large cover-up, and she believes she knows who it was. As Eclipsa laments the complete erasure of her daughter's existence, Moon assures her that her daughter is alive. Before they can discuss this further, Star returns from her Bogbeast of Boggabah party and opens the door.
- Star Butterfly
- Hekapoo (cameo)
- Rhombulus (cameo)
- Omnitraxus Prime (cameo)
- Festivia Butterfly (pictured)
- Meteora Butterfly (mentioned)
- King Butterfly (mentioned)
- King Shastacan (mentioned)
Title in other languages
|Danish||Total Måneformørkelse||Total Lunar Eclipse|
|Dutch||Eclipsa en Maan||Eclipsa and Moon|
|Korean||버터플라이 가문의 비밀||Secret of the Butterfly Family|
View the episode transcript here.
Click here to view the gallery.
- This episode and "The Bogbeast of Boggabah" take place at the same time.
Revelations and continuity
- Moon recites the "baloo-balee-baloo-balow" rhyme she taught Star in "Rest in Pudding".
- Eclipsa reveals that she never learned how to "dip down".
- It is revealed that, after Eclipsa's imprisonment, all records of her half-breed daughter Meteora were erased, and Festivia Butterfly was stated to be Eclipsa's daughter as part of a large cover-up.
- King Shastacan is the name of Eclipsa's Mewman ex-husband, as revealed by Eclipsa's scroll.
- The episode's title is a play on the Bonnie Tyler song "Total Eclipse of the Heart".
- When Moon and Eclipsa enter the coat closet, there is a pointed magician's hat on top of a box on the left side. This may be a reference to Mickey's sorcery hat from the Sorcerer's Apprentice segment of the 1940 Disney film Fantasia.
- Dominic Bisignano's name is misspelled in the episode's opening credits.
- Even without Festivia's name cut in, Eclipsa's scroll would still be wrong since she never had a child with Shastacan.
- Daron Nefcy (2017-12-05). Mixing season 3 episode 15!. Instagram. Retrieved on 2017 December 6.
- Calendar. Disney XD Press. Retrieved on 2018 February 4.
- Disney XD (2018-02-08). You asked nicely, then demanded, and then finally yelled at us... and it worked!. Twitter. Retrieved on 2018 February 8.
- Star vs. the Forces of Evil - Full episodes and TV listings. Zap2it. Retrieved on 2018 February 23.